Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Reflections on Daughtering

Long Excerpt: A Sharing in Parenting
Mother
  
"Through these years as a mother, my realization is that in order for our family to grow together, we really need God in our family. We need to have the very living essence of God to be in what we say, what we do, not just on Friday nights and Sunday mornings, [because] the impact of God [isn’t just] real only on those days, but on every day, and in every moment of our lives. That’s what our children see. They see us at home, and they see us outside the home.

... No matter how I teach my children about biblical truth and living, they will not understand and live it until they see us as parents living it. I must first make sure I have what I need in my life, [in order] to nurture my children into God loving and fearing adults. My children have been going to Sunday school the moment each of them reached a month old... They’ll give you lots of good and even biblically correct answers [if] you ask them questions, but they lack the day-to-day spiritual living of the biblical truths they have learnt... they can have so much fuller a life if Peter and I can guide them to seek the Holy Spirit to be their most intimate friend and personal counselor... We, like so many, have missed the unspeakable riches, the glorious reality, and intimate fellowship with the Holy Spirit (who is the third person of the Godhead)... He is to be worshiped as God, and He will lead us into worship in Spirit and in truth of the Father God, and the Son, our Bridegroom King. His desire is to personally teach each one of us the ways of God; [to] reveal the deep desires of the heart of the Father and of the Son. This is what I desire of my children to experience for themselves.

All along, I have been following the do’s and don’ts of parenting. Not that [that’s] bad, but [its] definitely not enough to guide our children to mature into adults who seek to delight God in everything he or she does– preparing them to be the bride of Jesus, our Bridegroom King. 

... It is really [about] what’s in my life that I can impart to my children that will leave an everlasting impression in their lives, such that they will not stray from God’s love, but yearn to grow closer to him every day, [relying] on the Holy Spirit for every counseling that they need for every decision that they will make in their lives from now, until adulthood. In short, [for them] to be able to develop the internal sensitivity to the Holy Spirit’s prompting– an internal sensor or compass, if I may call it. When I think about that, wow, that’s not a small feat! That’s a great responsibility on my part as a parent. 

... As I mentioned earlier, all it boils down to is one thing: We cannot give our children what we do not have within us. As a parent, I must first pull my act together and seek to be a delight to God, just as I want my children to delight me. My children will not be what I teach them to be, but what they see [in my actions] and [experience through their interactions with me]. Essentially, they will model after my actions. The inconsistency between the teaching of God’s word and my living it out will cause them to be confused, [leading] them to distrust, and eventually [leading] them away from God. Therefore, I must not only teach them God’s word, but [must] teach them [to have] reliance on the Holy Spirit to guide them. The Holy Spirit will always be with us; He cannot be taken away from us. My children need to see that both [their father] and I have that same reliance on the Holy Spirit through an intimate relationship and fellowship with him!

I’m just learning to see my children as God sees them in their potential, not as they are today. God loves me for who I will be the day Christ presents me to my father. So, I need to love my children as God loves me. Now, every moment must be a teachable moment. I’m learning to be more patient with my children, just as God our heavenly Father has been patient with me all these years as his child. He has not screamed and yelled at me for being disobedient to him. He has been waiting patiently for me to turn around and just run to him in love– as such I must be with my children.

... Oh how vulnerable we had become in our mistakes before our children! [Their father] and I were properly humbled and we repented before the Lord that night, as well as before our children. You see, they see us at our best [but also see us at] our worst and [in our] most humbling situations. What learning moments [these are] for our whole family."
  
~~~

Excerpt: A Child’s Perspective: Spiritual Inheritance
Daughter
           
"It has been over ten years since the giving of the preceding sharing by my mother... As I listened, I grew not only astonished, but also grateful and full of praise to our God for the way He works in our lives. After I had finished listening to the recording I asked if I could transcribe it.

I believe in Spiritual Inheritance. I think that while you do not necessarily end up in the exact same family situation as an adult that you had growing up, your childhood and your family does have an influence on your life in the future. We like to think that we can forge new grounds for ourselves, and be our own person, separate from our pasts. However, I implore of my peers to take our own histories to heart, to understand our pasts, to review them from a spiritual perspective, before we can understand the steps we can take as we move forward. The idea of spiritual inheritance has only recently begun to descend on my heart, even if the idea has been in the making for sometime. My recent realizations regarding spiritual inheritance lead me to analyze these thoughts that were shared years ago, and as a result, I then wished to share the child’s parallel perspective.
I have always been quite family orientated, having had these values instilled in me by my parents from birth, and from birth, my parents had sung and taught and ingrained “God”, “Jesus” and “the bible” as some of the core necessities in our lives. As my mother mentioned, our lives were changed drastically when we moved. As a young child then, I naturally did not understand reasons, or foresee the challenges that our family would face in the years ahead when we first began the journey. As I look back on how my parents have changed over the years, I see God’s hand in our lives. He has really given them so much wisdom and passion for Him. I see how this built up over the years we spent there, and continues to build up as we live today. My parents have always been quite liberal with us, in explaining the reason why they do certain things, why they make certain choices, in trying to teach us to understand, and perceive. They allowed us room to ask questions, to bargain with them, to argue with them. Not that I think that all of our retorts have always been respectful or even honoring. I know that I have sinned in some of my addresses to them during arguments. Yet, I cannot deny that my parents did allow us to reason with them, to discuss with them, and so allowed us to have an active relationship with them.

When we moved, and as I moved up in elementary/primary school, my father began to share learning that he went through, and great passions that God placed on his heart. He spoke to me, expecting maturity in listening and understanding. If I had questions, or desired clarification, or more information, he did not withhold it from me. I remember talking to him for minutes, and sometimes, even hours after dinner about the latest topic God has been teaching him. I appreciate so much that he did this– stretched me to see that there was so much more than just an elementary life. There was spiritual warfare– battles and challenges beyond the tough challenges of schoolwork. There was the bride of Christ– relationships to be developed beyond the basic sinner turned convert. There were prayer walks, long nights of worship, dancing, shofars, and waving of flags. There was so much more than graduating, getting a job, getting a family, retiring, and then dying. (Edit: Not that I didn't participate in activities of a student, but I was aware that there were other pursuits above my present understanding.) 

Perhaps it was in my later years of high school; it definitely solidified through my years in university– the need to have the Holy Spirit, Christ, and the Father with us every moment of our lives, not just on Sundays and Fridays. I grew to understand that to not have Him with me always; to live a dual life was false, and even folly. My experiences with God on Sundays and Fridays were so filling; so real, and so rich that life outside it seemed flimsy. I wished that it would not be that way, and I eventually caught on to the fact that it isn’t supposed to be– that God is with me each moment, that I should seek to be aware of His presence with me. I would say my parents did have a part in guiding me to this realization, in displaying their desire to follow God’s ways always, in the household, out of the household, in all our fights, and in many of our interactions. They trained me to think of God’s response to situations I faced, and I did so unconsciously, but I would say that God ultimately gave me these epiphanies: that this is how He wants to walk with me.

I found it interesting to hear my mother (back then a younger mother) share about her worry that we “lack the day-to-day spiritual living of biblical truth”. I see so much beauty in her words, her desire to model what living God’s truth would look like; when I look at my parents today, I thank God for them– I acknowledge that in my life there are no role models I look to more than my parents. Of course, they are not perfect. We are far from perfect. We still have arguments. We still make mistakes. We still have misunderstanding. We are far from fully sympathizing with each other. And yet this allows my mother’s convictions– that while she wanted to model God’s love and wisdom, she wanted us to look to Christ as our ultimate model of love and wisdom– to stand. My parents, in my eyes, are indeed flawed, but I admire them all the more because they have shown time and time again a reliance on God instead to find the right way as they struggled with parenting. Their humility left in me no shame in being wrong, or flawed, or not knowing everything; instead pushing me to seek and rely on the God who is righteous, perfect, and all knowing.

I cannot deny that God has been with our family. I cannot deny that we have grown a lot over the years. I cannot deny that I am blessed richly to have parents who love God, rely on Him and desire to serve Him with all they have. They have given me the foundation to seek God first... I agree with each of my mother’s sentiments that she spoke of all these years ago, and yet, am amazed to hear them because these are all lessons I myself have learnt as I journeyed as a Christian over my own short life. Now, I alongside with my mother, desire to experience for myself knowing the “deep desires of the heart of the Father and of the Son” as I live.

Coming back to my initial thoughts, I want to reassert that I believe in spiritual legacy. Abraham’s involved a covenant with God, which created a bond so powerful it transcended generations, from Isaac, to Jacob, to Judah, to David, to Jesus. Another notable legacy mentioned in the bible was Lois’, who was passed on to her daughter Eunice, whose faith was later seen in her son, Timothy. It means understanding the path that your parents (or predecessors) walked, and how they grew in their walks with God. That requires analyzing the life choices they made, and the kingdoms they built through their work. These efforts and time they spent building you up becomes the foundation that you continue to build on as you then take responsibility for your own walk with God. This carries on their spiritual legacy. Of course not everyone will be given this from his or her parents. However, once we first learn of our need for God, we have the opportunity to choose awareness of our place with God, and can begin building the spiritual legacy that we will one day pass to our children as we teach them, through our own example, of God’s ways.

I guess I wanted to affirm that as a parent, you truly do have the responsibility to bring your child up in God’s ways, and this can really give your children a great foundation to their own walk. (I do want to insert that not every child will turn out the way you always hope even if you have made your best efforts. This is simply because each individual has his or her own walk, and choices to make. This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try to be the most God glorifying parent you can be.) I also want to affirm that even if this is something you have not done, that God still works in your child, and you have to entrust that He has been and will guide your child, as he continues to guide you. Even so, in this realization, there are still choices you can make regarding your family that honors the Lord. I lastly want to affirm that although your parents may not have begun or left you a legacy, that that is not something to mourn over either. You have still the choice to start your own legacy. So, my sisters and brothers, be aware of the spiritual matters the Lord has given you authority over. May Christ’s wisdom, patience, trust in and faithfulness to the Father, be with you as you walk and build.



No comments:

Post a Comment